   Re: [xml-dev] What are web services ?

Rex..

That's a very long waffle to be reading in one breath.. maybe
next time you need to insert some <coffeebreak/> symbols
so we know when we can a breather.. :-)

Is this like philosophy? a lesson from Solomon ? or a shot
at somebody...? or attempt to establish a new techno-cult?

I just had a bit of trouble trying to understand who is the
target audience.

Maybe it is just a very big mystery that mere mortals like
the rest of us simply can't fathom out during the course
of our working lives.

Oh well.. keep working on the spec/scriptures and let us
know when it's finished.. there's bound to be some true
believers out there somewhere. Maybe they are writing
their 'bible code' decoders for web-services specs as we
speak..  you just never know...

David

On Mon, 30 May 2005 9:17 am, Rex Brooks wrote:
> While this is true for the perpetual world of con artists and
> grifters, and those on whom they prey, and for the equally perpetual
> professional gadflies whose avocation appears to be to puncture the
> also perpetual puffed up human egotists who appear to be born
> "experts" on just about everything and whose love of their own voices
> vocally or verbally seems to know no bounds.
>
> However, there is a growing body of standards and practices for both
> loosely coupled but well-bound WSDL and SOAP based web services AND
> RESTful web services based largely on structural capabilities
> inherent in the current and future Web Services Architecture
> promulgated by the W3C.
>
> Please be aware when you toss out the makings for new assaults in
> this permathread that asking for or providing short answers for how
> to build, publish service descriptions, establish reliable
> connections for web service consumers and transact reliable, secure
> web service operations to deliver valuable, cost-worthy
> functionalities over the web is not wise and most likely to produce
> poor definitions and wider misinformation than we already have.
>
> Since I have been working for three and half years in the OASIS WSRP
> TC and for the last few months in the newly formed SOA Reference
> Model TC, I can vouch for how difficult it is to develop sound,
> reliable specifications, definitions and practices for this arena,
> especially since it is almost guaranteed that the future of computing
> will be dominated by the paradigms being developed in this field.
>
> Like it or lump it, you will be dealing with it, so spit into the
> wind at your own risk. However, it is always tremendous fun to watch
> while pedants and gurus expound on these topics.
>
> My own position is to attempt to help shape this new technology into
> more workable pathways and learn it from the inside out while it is
> possible to do so. Three years ago it was almost pure hype with a
> tiny proportion of real work and a few major vendors vying to "own"
> this space. Now it is due to become, in the  world of  public
> perception, the province of equally perpetual gurus who have an
> almost irresistible compulsion to evangelize in these early stages of
> development and who tend to become "bleeding deacons" decrying the
> loss of true vision and purpose as what they consider their
> brainchildren develop their own lifecycles apart from the
> predilections of early adopters and true believers alike.
>
> This opinion is based on observing similar processes over the course
> of the last 30 years of tech development..
>
> Ciao,
> Rex
>
> At 10:29 AM +0100 5/30/05, Michael Kay wrote:
> >OK, here's my answer. The term "web service" means anything the
> >speaker wants it to mean. Like "service oriented architecture" or
> >"native XML database" or "electronic business" it's a fuzzy term
> >that different people will define in different ways, depending on
> [...]

Computergrid : The ones with the most connections win.