   Re: [xml-dev] What are web services ?

  • To: Razvan MIHAIU <mihaiu@mihaiu.name>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] What are web services ?
  • From: Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2005 10:54:11 +0300
  • Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

On May 31, 2005, at 09:50, Razvan MIHAIU wrote:

>    However there must be other restrictions for web services. After
> reading the other definitions I came up with the following list:
>
> 1. interoperable between OSes (a message written on one OS should be
> easily readable on another); this seems to imply the use of XML; what
> other technology can achieve this ?

If you only need to transfer a couple of simple values (a status code
or an URL), UTF-8-encoded plain text with one value per line would
work.

> 2. it must be an open standard (issued by Oasis or W3C); this
> restriction should rule out any "cgi, ejb, perl/php script" as a web
> service; you could have a cgi acting as a web service but only if it
> works according to a certain open protocol (this leads us to the next
> restriction)

I don't think homegrown XML vocabularies over HTTP in RESTian services
or objects based on homegrown classes over SOAP are excluded. A RESTian
Web service moving FooML documents back and forth fits the "any CGI"
scenario, and I'd still consider it a RESTian Web service.

> 3. it must have an open interface (e.g. it must work according to a
> certain protocol); as I read in another reply there are at least 3
> protocols to match this criteria: SOAP, REST, XML-RPC

Except REST isn't a protocol.

The only commonalities I can come up with are:
1) HTTP is involved.
2) The service is not designed to be used with a browser showing the
service URL in the location bar. (However, browsers can act as Web
service clients using XMLHttpRequest.)

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi