   Re: [xml-dev] XPath and XSD/RNG

On Wed, 1 Jun 2005, Stefan Tilkov wrote:

> Is there a way to check whether an XPath expression could possibly be
> true for a document conforming to a particular W3C XML Schema (or
> Relax NG schema) without having access to the document? Is this
> something that toolkits support?
>
> E.g. if the schema disallows /root/element/subelement, the XPath
> expression /root/element/subelement[0] cannot yield a non-null result
> for any conforming document.

An XQuery processor that implements static typing should be useful here.
XQuery stipulates that if it can be statically determined that an
expression $x/path (where the variable $x is declared to have your
schema's type) always returns the empty sequence, this should be
manifested as a compile-time error.

The same could apply to XSLT 2.0, but I am not sure.

Vladimir