   RE: [xml-dev] XPath and XSD/RNG

The XQuery formal semantics infers types for the result of a path expression
based on schema knowledge; if the inferred type is "empty" then the path
expression can't select anything. However, the inference rules aren't
perfect, in the sense that there are cases where a more precise type could
be inferred. It's a while since I looked at them in detail, but IIRC they
only deal with downwards axes.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/