   Re: [xml-dev] Why XML for Messaging?

  • To: "'XML Developers List'" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Why XML for Messaging?
  • From: Rick Marshall <rjm@zenucom.com>
  • Date: Sun, 05 Jun 2005 12:22:14 +1000

both have their problems. i have always stuck to the "mainframe" model
as the fundamental model. in a shared data environment there has to be a
way of knowing a copy of the data is definitive. a single central
repository can be wrong, but it is still definitive. multiple
repositories are in general a synchronisation nightmare.

but if we're talking documents then not such an issue.

so client server has several problems - performance (too much data sent
over the wire), synchronisation (who really should do the update?), and
lock out (my station has a lock, but died and forgot about the lock).

central systems can easily overcome these things.

many, many years ago (about the same time as rpc's) we started playing
with loosely coupled, cooperating and synchronised systems using uucp
(there wasn't any broadband back then) and found that messaging systems
could work very well. email made it easier and now soap is making it
even easier. now we need intelligent agents at the user end. our
original solution was a database agent at each distributed node, but
that doesn't work in the wide world.

xul is offering us a way forward, and presumably xaml will also (but it
will only work on ms workstations :( so it's not a general solution).
it's early days, but i see light at the end of this tunnel. java is
probably the other way forward.

rick

Michael Kay wrote:

>>I also hope that in
>>a closer future we finally get out of the dark ages and the
>>actual mainframe
>>centric architecture connected to dumb terminals (something we call a
>>browser).
>>

>And there was me, thinking that the industry had regained its sanity after
>the crazy and unsuccessful experiment called "client-server computing"!
>
>(The reality, of course, is that there's room for both...)
>
>Michael Kay

>!DSPAM:42a1e787170347161348401!

begin:vcard
fn:Rick  Marshall