   Re: [xml-dev] Another Microsoft XML patent

it's getting close to the time when i start looking for a new
profession. in the old days you could patent processes, but not ideas. i
don't see the process here.

my humble kettle for bioling water is covered by a number of patents,
but none of them stop anyone else from making a kettle. the basics of
physics can't be patented (ie creating heat), but the method of
transferring it to something or protecting the user etc can be.

now i just can't see how a) serialisation isn't as fundamental to
computing and electronics as heat to physics and b) is this really about
locking everyone else out of using serialisation with xml (ie to protect
the new office formats) - bit late if it is.

as a simple example, one of the reasons for the binary xml effort is
performance problems certain groups have in serialising their objects
into verbose xml. or won't they be allowed to do that anymore without
paying something to ms?

if there's no other way to get an object on the wire in general - ie it
has to be serialised to send it somewhere, then i don't see how it can
be patented. if as i said this is about xml as a serialisation format,
then what the hell, i'll just give in and invent a new one, or maybe use
asn.1.

so back to the tower of babel. is this microsoft playing god and seeing
us mere mortals build our tower of babel has decided to tear it down so
that we all get splintered back into our different languages and formats
again?

now i know that in this group there are many, many individuals and
companies with patentable technology, but lack a) the financial and b)
the time resource to secure it (myself very much included). a the same
time we see organisations like microsoft patenting things that have been
our bread and butter for years (decades sometimes) and personally i find
it depressing and discouraging.

rick

Bob Foster wrote:

> Noted without comment:
>
> http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO2&Sect2=HITOFF&p=1&u=/netahtml/search-bool.html&r=1&f=G&l=50&co1=AND&d=ptxt&s1=microsoft.ASNM.&s2=xml.ABST.&OS=AN/microsoft+AND+ABST/xml&RS=AN/microsoft+AND+ABST/xml
>

> Bob Foster

> !DSPAM:42a1d1be170345010920587!

begin:vcard
fn:Rick  Marshall