   Re: [xml-dev] Another Microsoft XML patent

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Another Microsoft XML patent
  • From: Rick Marshall <rjm@zenucom.com>
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jun 2005 21:38:52 +1000

i think it's time to put my hand up and say that i don't have a problem
with patents in general.

but i've always found it hard to justify software patents. the lines
between laws, algorithms, and ideas are by definition blurred.

so we have the application of something that works well in the physical
world trying to be given validity in the "ideas" world.

it was never going to be pretty, no matter who the combatants.

so for my money (bringing it back to the general structure of this list)
- oss and standards work well because the emphasis goes back to the
value of the individual providing a service. i can contribute to and
take advantage of the wealth of knowledge and ideas in the oss and
standards world and like so many others contribute my small bit back.

my clients win, i win, and companies and individuals i've never met (and
never will meet) win. and personally i get more personal satisfaction
from using my skills and those of others to provide the service.

you don't have to like my utopia, but computing is the one place where
it might work.

one day, perhaps soon, the xml community will be challenged by one or
more of these patents and our careers and intellectual efforts challenged.

rick

Michael Kay wrote:

>>It is a definite minority who believe that all software
>>patents are bad.
>>

>I didn't notice a referendum on the issue.
>
>Michael Kay
>http://www.saxonica.com/

>!DSPAM:42a42413170346297019405!

begin:vcard