   Re: [xml-dev] Another Microsoft XML patent

* M. David Peterson <m.david.x2x2x@gmail.com> [2005-06-06 09:48]:
> :D
>
> Here's why I feel good about making a statement like this.
>
> What I find interesting is that you can't just state that its because
> we're writing code and not working with physical objects and its
> because of this that our world is different.  The literature world,
> while not dealing with patents per se', are definitely dealing with
> copyrights and plagiarism.  Ask an author if it bothers him/her when
> people take abstracts from one of their pieces without giving proper
> reference or asking permission and you most certainly will have an
> understanding that people, in general, feel ownership in their ideas
> no matter how general they might seem to you and me.
>
> Since Paul Graham wrote and released "Hackers and Painters" its quite
> often now that you hear this comparison being made.  But ask a painter
> if he/she minds if you take an exact copy of his/her painting with the
> promise that you will return any and all changes you make to it back
> to the artist community and you'll more than likely get a look of
> bewilderment and wonder as to whether you've had the mercury added
> back into your mixtures of paints.  And yet its not supposed to sound
> or seem strange to the Hackers side of the above title.
>
> We (hackers) definitely see the world different than the rest of the
> world see's the world.

    You continue to confuse copyright and patent.

    Software, too, is protected by copyright.

    I am not fond of patents, but I've established all the
    safegaurds necessary to enforce my copyrights.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com
    - http://engrm.com/blogometer/index.html