   Re: [xml-dev] Another Microsoft XML patent

* Bullard, Claude L (Len) <len.bullard@intergraph.com> [2005-06-06 14:23]:
> By hooking the means to the end.  Use the web to
> document and present innovation meriting patents.
> Change the legal system and the patenting process
> to admit this evidence.  Enable an examiner to
> open a patent to commentary/inspection by the
> community affected by it.

> The serious problem of the patent process is
> opaqueness of the examination subprocess.

    It seems a pity that third parties cannot be consulted, when you
    imagine that you are the third party they would consult.

    To make research available to the USPTO as a passive resource
    might be something that is acceptable legally, but then wouldn't
    we be setting up a battle between PR departments, politicizing
    the patent approval process?

    Wouldn't a software monlith aruge effectively along the lines
    of:

    We spend x billion a year on research and development. How can
    you tell us that our application approval pivots on the consesus
    of a newsgroup.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com
    - http://engrm.com/blogometer/index.html