   Re: [xml-dev] Microsoft Patents Serializing Objects To XML And Se nding

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> Because with a documented system it is easier to establish the
> timeframe.  Given an ontological system, it is easier to organize
> proofs of originality.   Given an open and easily researched system,
> it is easier to discover the original before reinventing it.

I've seen discussion of the the idea of "prior-art repositories" where
people could register their (non-patented) inventions. Sounds like a
good idea if it ever reaches critical mass.[1]

> Openness and transparency are the key to legitimacy and no-fault.
>
> We're spending a not insignificant amount of money to enable you
> to prove you are who you say you are, and possibly to know before
> you do that you will have to do that.  Perhaps reusing some of that
> technology to prove what you say is yours is is a decent return
> on an investment in systems that should otherwise see little use.

Again, being able to "prove what you say is yours is" won't help if the
other guy got his patent first. He will have a monopoly for the next 20
years.

Jim

[1] - http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/legal/0,39020651,39171572,00.htm