   Re: [xml-dev] Another Microsoft XML patent

David said (or so I think he said):

>the corporations that we love to hate still provide good
>employment for a lot of people...

Yes, they bring employment provided that you're young, not over
educated, not disabled and politically approved and sanitized. Not to
discount the efforts of a few smart people who work in these
corporations, there is a lot of corporate welfare for people who
couldn't find work elsewhere, much like government.

Large corporations often have the financial momentum and resources to
carry them through bad decisions that would kill lessor businesses
and often have customers who can't recognize the difference between
innovation and brand name. As a past customer of mine once said "No
one has ever been fired for buying IBM."

>nothing beats the training you get working for a
>big efficient company...

Ahhh, big and efficient are mutually exclusive.

If someone (not you) wants experience, I would have them try working
for themselves producing a product/service that actually does
something. Now, I'm not saying that big corporations have no value,
but in this country (USA) it's small business who produce the vast
majority of innovated products -- why is that?

>whilst small businesses may actually provide more of a
>percentage of the jobs in our societies.....

In this country, small business do employ far more people than large
corporations.

>try living in a country with no big companies.. big
>gready banks... etc.. not that I do now... but I can tell
>you that without the big companies.. life really
>sucks...

But, how about living around big companies who ignore locals and take
their work overseas? Or living in an area where large corporations
have raised the cost of living for everyone who doesn't work for
them? Or live in an area where large corporations, like Walmart,
drive out all the smaller competition and you find yourself out of a
job or having to settle for the same position, but at lower pay, at
Walmart?

Large corporations bring as much improvement to the overall "quality
of life" as does large governments -- which is very little if you
aren't employed by them.

>but if we don't have the big companies to poke fun at..
>
>who else?

Agreed, but poking fun at them isn't enough. I think we need to
understand that they (like governments) are commonly the problem and
not the solution.

My $0.02 -- your mileage may vary.

tedd
http://sperling.com/