   Re: [xml-dev] Another Microsoft XML patent

On Jun 7, 2005, at 8:57 PM, Michael Champion wrote:

[snip]
> I admit to a bit of bias considering on which side my bread is
> buttered, but maybe Symantec *should* have patented the obvious idea
> of virus filtering during file transfer, and MS should have patented
> the obvious idea of getting data out of a database and into a
> spreadsheet when they had the chance. NOT because they could have
> stomped the small fry with their gorilla feet, but because they could
> have saved $70 million between them (not counting legal fees) on these
> two cases alone.

Michael, you are a very reasonable and intelligent guy. Tell me, just
your personal opinion: Wouldn't the world be a lot better off without
software patents? Do they, in your opinion, provide any value to the
economy/community? I'm not asking about any "they don't cause that
much harm" or "all the other guys do it, too" argument.

Stefan

--
Stefan Tilkov, stefan.tilkov@innoq.com, http://www.innoq.com
innoQ Deutschland GmbH, Halskestr. 17, D-40880 Ratingen, Germany