   Re: [xml-dev] Document oriented experience reports anyone?

Hi All

I totally forgot that I had already resolved this problem months ago (I had
to evaluate the software before ordering it, and procurement takes a long
time around here).  The only thing I don't know is how Documentum will
handle this (we won't be moving to Documentum 5 until July, and 4i doesn't
play nice with Schemas).

Nadia

                      Bob Foster
                      <bob@objfac.com>         To:       Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@gmail.com>
                                               cc:       "Nadia.Swaby@pwc.ca" <Nadia.Swaby@pwc.ca>, Rick Jelliffe
                                               Subject:  Re: [xml-dev] Document oriented experience reports anyone?

XMLBuddy, Oxygen and no doubt other editors support using DTDs for
entities but not for validation, as the XML spec allows a non-validating
parser to do. XMLBuddy uses an off-the-shelf parser (XercesJ). The only
issue is finding the right feature incantation that makes it work.

I believe the industry as a whole is gradually reacting to this common
use case. In another forum, Michael Glavassevich wrote: "The JAXP 1.3
Validation API [1][2] decouples the process of validation from parsing.
You will be able to perform schema validation without also having to
turn on the [DTD] validation feature."

It's certainly the path of least resistance to Just Do It as opposed to
inventing a replacement for DTD entities. If your favorite parser
doesn't support this use case, send them a bug report.

Bob Foster
http://xmlbuddy.com/