   RE: [xml-dev] U.S. Federal Goverment's Data Reference Model (DRM) XML Sc

Thanks for the information, Irene.

So if you are seeing the betas now, procurement catches up in say three years,
implementations appear at the earliest, two years after that.
At five years ahead, the costs for this won't be seen until the first
half of the first term of the next administration.  And that is definitely
synonymous with Federal.

That doesn't answer the questions of what we do with the rdf:id that we wouldn't do
with another semantic for an id.   Let's talk for a minute about the impact
of costing systems using these specs.  Remember, it's useful to have
an RFP say "Comply with" without some means of showing how to comply
with it.

GJXML is a good example.  Today the RFP says "comply with"
and then leaves it to the local procuring agency to figure out how to determine
compliance.   The GJX... IEP is better because it requires the actual subset work
to be performed, a URI-identified instance of the schema to be produced
as a Reference Schema, and possibly, the agency or State level instance
of that.  Now we have a definition (eg, incident-AL.xsd) that can be cited
and validated.   Note carefully:  every one of these processes is bid
at consultant rates every time the customer asks for it.  Until the agency-
selected IEP emerges, the system procured remains in implementation
phase and does not cutover to live operations.

How long will an agency wait before the system goes live?  Answer:
about six to 12 months, but usually less than a year.   Local budgets
and political priorities won't take the pressure of long rollouts.

The world is festering with meta-specs.  They are decidedly expensive
items to chuck into an RFP.

len

From: Irene Polikoff [mailto:irene@topquadrant.com]
[len] Show the support for RDF in the major commercial software frameworks.

Next version of Oracle 10g to be released this summer has RDF/S built in. I can attest that they've done a good job at supporting the standard (we've been beta testing the product). Some OWL support is currently being worked on.

Software AG (vendor of XML database Tamino) supports RDF and OWL. They've recently integrated Ontoprise's Ontobroker engine into Tamino.

Adobe has had RDF support for quite some time now.

I've heard rumors that IBM will announce something by the end of the year - but these are just rumors.

Regards,

Irene