   Looking for open source alternative to MSXML COM interface for DOM

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Looking for open source alternative to MSXML COM interface for DOM
  • From: "Mark Delaney" <MARKD@microen.com>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Jun 2005 11:11:21 -0700

I am looking for a COM interface for DOM so that I can pass XML nodes from one Windows program to another without passing megabytes of BSTR from here to there. I am investigating the availability of open source alternatives to Microsoft's MSXML. I'll be building my programs using DevStudio on Windows XP SP2.

I went to the site for Xerces. There is mention in the build instructions for how to create a COM wrapper for the Xerces 2.6.0 DOM implementation. This sounds like what I want.

Googling around on this, I found one email on a list somewhere a couple of years old that suggested that the COM wrapper was going to be deprecated shortly. But it still seems to be there. But it is not part of the binary distribution.

I need to know if this COM wrapper is a living supported stable solid part of the Xerces 2.6.0 DOM implementation. If so, it is probably just what I am looking for. Does anyone have any experience using this?  Also, are there any other alternatives I should be looking at that would be a viable open source alternative to MSXML's COM interfaces?

Thank you!

Best regards,

Mark Delaney

(My opinions are my own. Please do not confuse them with my employer's opinons.)