   Re: [xml-dev] XML Digital Signature

  • To: Roshan Mani <roshanmani@safescrypt.com>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] XML Digital Signature
  • From: Farrukh Najmi <Farrukh.Najmi@Sun.COM>
  • Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 12:15:09 -0400
  • Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

Roshan Mani wrote:

>Hi,
>
>Has anyone on this list worked on XML and Digital Signatures? I have a team
>that's doing some work on this area using the MS XML toolkit and we've run
>into a wall with the way XML handles Private Key requests for creating a
>signature using a Crypto USB Token..
>
>If anyone on this forum has some ideas on this topic, let me know and I can
>give more details on what we're doing and the exact nature of our problem..
>Would appreciate all the help we can get on this!

It seems I live and breath XML Digital Signatures these days in my work
on freebXML Registry open source project :-) :

    http://ebxmlrr.sourceforge.net/tmp/ebXMLRegistryLinks.html

However, all that I do is within the Java Platform and specifically J2EE
and Java Web Services.

My experience with Java platform and XML DSIG is decidedly good. There
is a standard Java API for XML Digital Signatures:

    http://www.jcp.org/jsr/detail/105.jsp

The above API is now an approved JCP standard.

It has several implementations but they should all be the same API. I
used the one from JWSDP 1.6:

    http://java.sun.com/webservices/downloads/webservicespack.html

which is a free download.

I also used the XML Web Services Security (XWSS) API provided in JWSDP
1.6 which provided
me with out of box support for OASIS Web Services Security standard:

    http://www.oasis-open.org/news/oasis_news_04_19_04.php

and the XWSS implementation has been through numerous interop tests and
I believe also supports
WS-I Basic Security Profile 1.0.

And I never hit a brick wall any where.

So, if you want a totally standards based approach to developing XML
Digital Signature based apps
then you may want to consider switching to Java platform.

I would be glad to share experience if you are open to  Java platform for
your project.

HTH. Best of luck in your implementation.

--
Regards,
Farrukh Najmi

Coming to Java ONE 2005? If so check out Sun's Service Registry at Booth #802 in the Java ONE Pavillion.

Sun's Service Registry Web Site:
http://www.sun.com/products/soa/registry/

Press Release:
http://www.sun.com/smi/Press/sunflash/2005-06/sunflash.20050615.1.html