   RE: [xml-dev] Arbortext bought

It is a market that is following the technical
reality that XML is plumbing for the operating
system frameworks that expose browsers as a
dominant GUI metaphor.   Markup applications
as standalone systems are increasingly sidelined
given the shift from markup for documents to
markup for messages.

From where I sit, these submergers look normal
and predictable.  A pure markup play company
strategy has become obsolete.   Why would anyone
be surprised by that?  It's been obvious since
XML was taken up by the Microsofts, Suns and
Oracles of the industry.  Just as the browser
was absorbed, so too are most of the other markup
applications.  From the perspective of the aging
CALS vets, a CAD company absorbing a markup
system is not only reasonable, it is somewhat
past date (that would have been exactly what
should have happened in 1989 except the graphics
vs markup wars with WYSIWYG spoilers were still on).

Second your wish that our colleagues at ArborText
did well, are well, and are well off.

len

From: Liam Quin [mailto:liam@w3.org]

Before that, SoftQuad Author/Editor was bought by Interleaf,
and as far as I can tell never saw the light of day again.
And Synex AB (the developers behind SoftQuad Panorama) was bought
by InSo (who had bought EBT, and who were then bought by Enigma).

But industry these days is a fish-eat-fish world.

> We are not where it's at folks.
Or, we're in demand :-)

At any rate, best wishes to all the folks at Arbortext -- let's
hope it works out well for them!