   Re: [xml-dev] Arbortext bought

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> It is a market that is following the technical
> reality that XML is plumbing for the operating
> system frameworks that expose browsers as a
> dominant GUI metaphor.   Markup applications
> as standalone systems are increasingly sidelined
> given the shift from markup for documents to
> markup for messages.

I don't believe that Arbortext sells markup applications. I think that
they sell a standards-based authoring and publishing platform. That's
what their website says and when I've spoken with their customers they
seem to agree.

A product lifecycle management company bought a complex technical
documentation company. That makes sense to me. As you say: XML is
plumbing (precisely: a technical means to a business end) and I think
that both the purchaser and the purchasee understood that.

I don't believe that this has anything whatsoever to do a "the shift
from markup for documents to markup for messages". There is no such
shift. Yes, XML's center of gravity has shifted but that is irrelevant.

Did the "shift" towards the use of the World Wide Web (an application of
the Internet) hurt the popularity of email (another application of the
Internet?). Does the shift towards VOIP sideline BitTorrent? Apples and
oranges.

  Paul Prescod