> Sorry if this is an old idea. The more I have experimented with the idea
> recently,  the more compelling it seems.

This seems more like an application level argument.  That is, if your
application is geared toward individual transations how would this help?
You're going to have to add some sort of shim in-between to handle an
abbreviated syntax, so wouldn't it be just as straightforward to do this
with a bulk transaction set of data instead?

But there would seem to be some merit in having a more standardized way to
express repetitive , regular data without all the syntactical excesses of a
plain XML file.

-Bill Kearney