   Re: [xml-dev] Arbortext bought

A bit late to the conversation but is there anyone on this list who is
in the "XML Industry" because of its tremendous cash producing
prospects in and of itself.  I've always been under the impression
that XML is and always has been viewed as a necessary, enabling
technology that allows the rest of the software industry to finally
play well together and as such our lives easier and more productive.

But wheres the money in "plays well with others"?

The money's in "kicks the snot out of anybody who comes near him."  I
figure if I'm paying cash I'm paying to watch my team beat the living
hell out of the other team not the "oh, sorry bout' that... you ok...
shoot, I didn't mean to knock you down like that...  Maybe we should
just play tag instead?"

I still love XML though... It carries the weight of the software world
on its shoulders ensuring accurate, on-time delivery each and every
time... But its not the carrying of the weight but the weight (read:
payload) that people are paying the real money for. Shipping
definitely brings in revenue but the day that shipping brings in more
than the product it ships... I'm guessing thats the same day we find a
new Enron-lookalike to plaster our headlines with...

Probably enough metaphors for one day, huh?

Enjoy yours :)