   Adding an attribute to an enumerated list

Hi,

I have searched the XML-dev archives as well as the UBL 1.0 specification and CodeList Representation paper and can’t find a good solution to my problem, so I thought I’d ask for any suggestions out there.

I am trying to create a very flexible schema for a public Event for which I’d like people to be able to redefine certain types into enumerated lists when they use the schema. It seems that this means the types must be simpleTypes, since only simpleTypes can be restricted into enumerations. However, I’d also like these types to have an attribute that will allow the user of the schema to indicate what language the content of the element (which will eventually use the type) is in. It seems that this is impossible, as simpleTypes cannot have attributes. UBL 1.0 seems to have a way of attaching this meta-data to an enumerated list/codelist (involving the creation of both a simpleType to hold the enumeration values, and a complexType to hold “supplementary components”—the metadata about the codelist), but it seems too complicated for my purposes as I really only have one attribute I want to use.

Doesn’t anyone else out there ever want to create an enumerated list that has an attribute attached to it? Am I missing something simple or is this a difficult problem?

Allison Bloodworth

Principal Administrative Analyst

e-Berkeley Program Office

University of California, Berkeley