   Re: [xml-dev] Interesting pair of comments (was Re: [xml-dev] Schema Ex

On 14 Jul 2005, at 05:02, Rick Jelliffe wrote:

> "There appeared to be no obvious way to split the XML Schema
> specification
> into layers or sub-languages"
>
> So XML Schemas is such spaghetti that it cannot be untangled? Yikes.
> But I don't believe it.

The difficulty in splitting the spec into layers or shells is that
there isn't consensus on which features are core and which are
esoteric. You're 80 is my 20 was order of the day and highlighted
in Paul Biron's summary of the experience reports.

> One problem with a monolithic spec is that it gives little
> guidance about what is core and non-core. Everything is
> core. A more layered spec such as I suggest would clarify
> that, for example, mixed content is a core feature but xsi:nill
> is not.

Which I think, proves my point. Whilst I agree that mixed content is
core - from my perspective it's what XML is all about, but for many
people serialising their data, it's a nuisance and definitely not as
core as xsi:nill.

--
http://blog.whatfettle.com