                                               Subject:  [xml-dev] Simple XSLT Problem
                      2005-07-14 09:03
                      Please respond to
                      Mike Beattie

I just tried my hand at using XSLT to extract some information from an
XML file that I have been given, and I am running into a (potentially
stupid) problem. I continue to simplify my XSLT query hoping to get to
a point where I see some expected output, and I am still having
difficulties with the files listed below. I am using the latest stable
version of Xalan (1.9.0) on a Linux box.

The problem is that when I apply Xalan to the files below, I get N
blank lines of output, where N is the number of lines in the original
XML file. I would be less confused if N was the number of presentation
elements in my file...but that's not even the case.

I've been banging my head against this one for a little while, and I'm
sure there are people on this list who have a quick answer. Thanks in
advance for any assistance.

--Mike Beattie

........... XSLT File .................................
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
                version="1.0">

  <xsl:output method="text"/>

  <xsl:template match="presentation">
    <text>Hello World!&#10;</text>
  </xsl:template>

</xsl:stylesheet>

........... XML File ..................................
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<biometric-signature-set
    name="FRGC - All Signatures - Atomic and Derived"
    xmlns="http://www.bee-biometrics.org/schemas/sigset/0.1";
    xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.bee-biometrics.org/schemas/sigset/0.1
       http://www.bee-biometrics.org/schemas/sigset/0.1/general.xsd";>

 <biometric-signature name="nd1S02463">
  <presentation name="nd1R16540" modality="face"
file-name="nd1/Spring2003/02463d258.jpg" file-format="jpeg"/>
 </biometric-signature>
 <biometric-signature name="nd1S02463">
  <presentation name="nd1R17900" modality="face"
file-name="nd1/Spring2003/02463d265.jpg" file-format="jpeg"/>
 </biometric-signature>
 ...continues...
</biometric-signature-set>