   Re: [xml-dev] Mixed content in data-binding (Was: Re: [xml-dev] Interest

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> Some years ago during the IADS work, our chief designer said that
> any language (at that time, SGML) that enabled mixed content
> should be eliminated from the universe.  Instead, the follow
> on, XML, thrived and won.  While I understand the parser-centric
> data model position, history is not on the side of eliminating
> mixed models.

There is no such thing as a mixed model. This is a notational issue.

actually represents a node structure like this:

{element p}
   {text}This is an {/text}
   {element i}
     {text}example{/text}
   {/element i}
   {text} paragraph.{/text}
{/element p}

That is the model; the former is a notational convenience. SGML is rife
with notational shorthand designed to make documents more pleasing to
human writers. XML eliminated some of it. The human interface oriented
features it didn't eliminate - mixed notation, general entities, default
attributes - remain to annoy us and periodically reignite permathreads.

XML would be improved if it had two dialects: the current cuddly
language and a stripped down, possibly more verbose subset that did
nothing but convey a structured node sequence as text.

That's the permathread this and most others here boil down to.

Bob Foster