   RE: [xml-dev] Mixed content in data-binding (Was: Re: [xml-dev] I nteres

Good catch, Bob, but I don't alter my position.  Build profiles
and you require a lot of process rot to maintain them.
Caveat emptor.

That mixed content annoys you doesn't mean it isn't a ubiquitously
found means of notation.  That your model doesn't include
them simply means it doesn't model the widest number of
cases for the notation; it rewrites it into an alternative
structure such as a typed node tree.  That's fine.  But
as I've said before, markup IS a human interface.  Failing
to notice that is also a reason for many permathreads.  My
story just points out how old this permathread is.

History shows that the implementors will implement the wider
notation and create a model that supports it if that is what
the market they sell too exhibits in the data.   We have
profiles in X3D.  The second largest one is the one that
gets implemented most frequently because few want to
buy self-limiting tools.  Where smaller subsets are implemented
is typically because a tool only uses the language in
a very limited context such as exporting.  Editors and
browser implementors go for the largest practical set
because they otherwise limit their market.

I also tried to get rid of mixed content in DTD designs.
All it did was force the programmer to detect it in the code.
The problem boils down to where one detects it.

We've never been able to eliminate it from the human hand
and in the case of automated systems, if we introduce them
we also have to introduce conformance testing and signalling
(eg, UDDI/COM/OLE) for the world's most unruly system.  As
Liam Quin pointed out to me recently, failing to account for
diversity was a major reason the SGML/Hytime/DSSSL systems
failed to scale and the HTML systems did scale.

Microdiversity drives speciation.  Selection doesn't produce
optimum populations or designs; it produces learning populations.
So far we've learned that we can't arbitrarily eliminate mixed
content.  Caveat vendor.

len

From: Bob Foster [mailto:bob@objfac.com]

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> Some years ago during the IADS work, our chief designer said that
> any language (at that time, SGML) that enabled mixed content
> should be eliminated from the universe.  Instead, the follow
> on, XML, thrived and won.  While I understand the parser-centric
> data model position, history is not on the side of eliminating
> mixed models.

There is no such thing as a mixed model. This is a notational issue.

actually represents a node structure like this:

{element p}
   {text}This is an {/text}
   {element i}
     {text}example{/text}
   {/element i}
   {text} paragraph.{/text}
{/element p}

That is the model; the former is a notational convenience. SGML is rife
with notational shorthand designed to make documents more pleasing to
human writers. XML eliminated some of it. The human interface oriented
features it didn't eliminate - mixed notation, general entities, default
attributes - remain to annoy us and periodically reignite permathreads.

XML would be improved if it had two dialects: the current cuddly
language and a stripped down, possibly more verbose subset that did
nothing but convey a structured node sequence as text.

That's the permathread this and most others here boil down to.