   Global Complex Types vs. Global Elements

Hi, all

When I read XMLSPY 2005 User Manual today, I found the following statement
which really baffles me.

A globally declared element can be reused at multiple locations. __?___It
differs from a globally declared complex type in that its content model
cannot be modified without also modifying the global element itself___?___.
If you change the content model of an element that references a global
element, then the content model of the global element will also be changed,
and, with it, the content model of all other elements that reference that
global element.

Since XML Schema Primer & Structures do not mention the above point
explicitly, could you give me some explanation as to the sentence?