   Pluggable canonical XML

  • To: XML Developers List <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Pluggable canonical XML
  • From: Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2005 11:51:23 -0400

The canonical XML specification allows for different algorithms each
identified by a URI. There are certain standard algorithms such as
http://www.w3.org/2001/10/xml-exc-c14n# and
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315#WithComments (Truth be
told, this doesn't seem to have been part of the original vision of
canonical XML, but was invented by the DSIG and Encryption folks; and it
seems to have been adopted with relatively little trouble.)

Recently I've encountered a need for some special purpose algorithms.
For instance http://www.elharo.com/c14n/MyPrivateAlgorithm  or

Has anyone written any sort of canonicalizer that is pluggable in any
way? i.e. that allows the user to extend it with new methods? That is
not just limited to preconceived canonicalization methods? I'm not sure
what such a thing would look like. I might experiment with something in
XOM, which already supports the four common methods; but I thought I'd
check first to see if anyone else had thought about this and made any