   SV: [xml-dev] Demand for web services

>One of my assertions was that the growth of (XML) Web services was promoted

>by the need to separate content from presentation, users required data in a

>"pure" form which could then be styled as they saw fit and depending on the

>front end, their device capabilities etc.

>One of the editors has strongly disagreed with this, although he hasn't
>really offered any counter points.

Seperation of content from presentation was already available in other
technologies (e.g. looping through a recordset to create an HTML table),
though it remains an advantage of using XML. The attempt to create
distributed architecture that was platform independent was probably a
greater driving force.

James Walford