From: Bryan Rasmussen [mailto:bry@itnisk.com]
Sent: 02 August 2005 08:38
To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
Subject: [xml-dev] a useful naming convention

I've had some problems with xml naming conventions recently and had somewhat despaired of every encountering one that was more useful than just saying names should be human meaningful and identify the purpose of an element or attribute clearly in its context.

However reading the KML (Keyhole Markup Language) spec I came across this:

There are two basic types of KML tags: simple and complex. Complex tags are easily identified by an initial upper case letter, while simple tags use all lower case. Complex tags can function as Parent Tags to both complex and simple tags, while simple tags are children only and can contain no other tags.

not sure if this is reasonable if an element starts with an acronym or is an acronym, however.

--
Bryan Rasmussen

DISCLAIMER

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential and is intended

for the recipient only.

If you have received it in error, please notify us immediately by reply

e-mail and then delete it from your system. Please do not copy it or

use it for any other purposes, or disclose the content of the e-mail

to any other person or store or copy the information in any medium.

The views contained in this e-mail are those of the author and not

necessarily those of Admenta UK Group.