   Re: SV: [xml-dev] a useful naming convention

Bryan Rasmussen wrote:

> basically I figure it's theoretical, in java which has a lot of databinding
> tools a hyphen is not a proper character in an identifier. I would hope that a
> databinding tool would have taken this into account and made a workaround  (I
> seem to remember that Castor handles it) But maybe that is me being optimistic
> and anyway the requirements of naming standards are often based on what
> theoretical problems.
>
> consider the even worse scenario of element names with . in them. Not only
> possible databinding headaches, but I suppose css headaches as well if someone
> wanted to style the xml via that technology.
>
> XMI must be a headache for someone.

It is somewhat a pain when using XSL (v1.0, as that is what I know) to
transform configuration XML out to Java and JavaScript. It requires
string manipulation to convert to valid variable names. I don't have
problems with underscores. Dashes in element names look more attractive
to me, however.

best,
-Rob