   Re: [xml-dev] Constrain the Number of Occurrences of Elements in your XM

I'll bite, so WHY is it bad? I don't see any real reason for not using
unbounded. I might agree with recursion.

Your recommendation is to set book to 30,000 if that is all you can handle
- what is setting that restriction? Is it my front end processor or my data
base on my PDA? When you create a database you don't limit this table to
30,000 entries. That sort of limit is maintained at the resource/disk space
level - the space available is based upon all the tables and entries that
are made and you up the overall resource if you hit a space limit.

Also one persons resource restrictions might not be anothers. I build
schemas for a standards organization with companies that have a wide range
of capabilities and resources. I work with Mom and Pops with a minimal PC
to major corporations that want to push as much as possible through their
systems.

My experience as soon as you set something you think logically big enough
it is almost immediately broken. So other than getting a schema to complain
when you hit 30,000 but your system might have been able to hit 40,000 or
more, what value did I gain? Now I have constrained the person that can use
the infinite size to something less than optimal for them.

..dan

At 10:52 AM 8/5/2005, Roger L. Costello wrote:
>Hi Folks,
>
>Below I have jotted down a few thoughts regarding XML Schemas which permit
>an unbounded number of occurrences.  Namely, I recommend against using
>maxOccurs="unbounded" in an XML Schema.  I am interested in hearing your
>thoughts on this.  /Roger
>

>Constrain the Number of Occurrences of Elements in your XML Schema
>

>by Roger L. Costello
>August 5, 2005
>

>Constrain your Data!
>

>In this message I will argue that you should never create XML Schemas that
>permit an unbounded number of occurrences.
>
>There are two ways in XML Schemas to permit an unbounded number of
>occurrences. The first way is to explicitly state that you are permitting
>an unbounded number of occurrences. For example, this declaration says
>that Bookstore can contain an unbounded number of Book elements:
>
><element name="Bookstore">
>     <complexType>
>         <sequence>
>             <element name="Book" type="..." maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
>         </sequence>
>     </complexType>
></element>
>The second way of permitting an unbounded number of occurrences is less
>obvious. Unboundedness occurs implicitly when you create a recursive
>structure. In this example there is no limit to the depth of the Section
>elements. That is, a Section can contain a Section which contains a
>Section which contains a Section ...
>
><element name="Section" type="SectionType"/>
>
><complexType name="SectionType">
>     <sequence>
>         <element name="Title" type="..."/>
>         <element name="Section" type="SectionType"/>
>     </sequence>
></complexType>
>Both of the above forms permit an unbounded number of occurrences. I
>recommend that you never use either form. That is, never declare an
>element with maxOccurs="unbounded", and never declare a recursive
>structure. Below I explain why.
>

>Writing a Journal Article? Your Word Count is Limited!
>

>The situation with specifying the number of occurrences of an element in
>an XML Schema is analogous to the situation with specifying the number of
>words authors can use in an article.
>
>Suppose that you want to write an article for a journal. How many words
>can you use in your article? All journals have an upper limit on the
>number of words that you can use. Why don't the journals set the word
>limit to unbounded? Answer: there are editors that have to check the
>articles for correctness, readability, etc. The editors have limited
>resources (i.e., time). Thus, it is necessary to limit the length of the
>article. Perhaps at a later date the journal will increase the word limit
>(perhaps they hire some full-time editors). But they always have a
>definite upper limit. They never allow articles of unbounded length. The
>reason is because of limited resources.
>

>Error! Infinite Loop!

> [...]

Danny Vint

Specializing in Panoramic Images of California and the West
http://www.dvint.com

voice: 510-522-4703