   RE: [xml-dev] Is HTML structured or unstructured information?

  • To: "Bullard, Claude L \(Len\)" <len.bullard@intergraph.com>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Is HTML structured or unstructured information?
  • From: Mukul Gandhi <mukul_gandhi@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2005 19:31:35 -0700 (PDT)
  • Cc: xml-dev@lists.xml.org

Hi Len,

--- "Bullard, Claude L (Len)"
<len.bullard@intergraph.com> wrote:
> Your experiences are much the same as mine.
> As Tim Bray says, View Source is a primary reason
> for the spread of HTML, Javascript and so forth.
>
> However, back on topic:  as pointed out by others,
> HTML
> might be called semi-structured, but I think the
> concept of structure is misleading because markup
> is structured by definition.  OTOH, even highly
> structured XML can be quite meaningless which is
> why for XML and HTML work wonderfully well for the
> humans and vary a lot for computers.  Best practices
> cover some but not all of the gaps.  In my opinion,
> naming is a harder and more important practice to
> master than structuring.  In many cases, when markup
> fails semantically, naming is at fault.  Naming is
> hard.
> Best practices for naming are even harder to come
> by.

Since HTML is a presentational vocabulary, it is flat
namespaced, where XML is hierarchically namespaced.
Would this mean HTML will be un-structured as reasoned
by me earlier? And XML will be structured. But I agree
with you on the point that HTML can be treated as
semi-structured.

Is this topic worth discussing? HTML is so popular and
beautifully nice, that we should just use it :)
Probably we should discuss more about XML on xml-dev..

Regards,
Mukul