   Re: [xml-dev] Is HTML structured or unstructured information?

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> From: Robert Koberg [mailto:rob@koberg.com]
>
> Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
>

>>>When you stop questioning, you stop learning.
>

>>or you start doing...
>

> Unacceptable as noted in next statement.
>

>>Practice is the acquisition of habit, not knowledge.
>

> Clear?

Not really.

>>>The principle 'separation of presentation and content'
>>>is flaky in practice.
>

>>why is that?
>

> Because it isn't practiced.  It is espoused.  Again,
> if HTML is the exemplar, it isn't 100%.  It is mixed.
> All of the examples so far are mixed.

Hmmm... please don't tell some of my customers who create content in XML
so it can get styled to XHTML for the web, HTML and text for emails,
AvantGo, PDF, whatever.

Or the ones who reuse content pieces in different parts of a
project/site so that it can be presented differently.

>>You aren't doing something like this:
>

>>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sokal_Affair
>

>>are you?
>

> AKA, trolling?  Nope. I'm questioning assumptions
> and design principles that leave the work to
> others.  Structured vs unstructured only has
> clarity at the extremes.
>
> Survival is being the middle gazelle and profit
> is being the third penguin.

I see..?

-Rob