   RE: [xml-dev] Web 2.0 - Leading the Web to its full potential by side-st

Randall: You see, to be quite frank, Kevin, the fabric of the universe is
far from perfect. It was a bit of botched job, you see. We only had seven
days to make it. And that's where this comes in. This is the only map of all
the holes. Well, why repair them? Why not use them to get stinking rich?

Evil Genius: When I have the map, I will be free, and the world will be
different, because I have understanding.

Robert: Understanding of what, master?

Evil Genius: Digital watches. And soon I will have understanding of
videocassette recorders and car telephones. And when I have understanding of
them, I shall have understanding of computers. And when I have understanding
of computers, I shall be the Supreme Being! God isn't interested in
technology. He knows nothing of the potential of the microchip or the
silicon revolution. Look how he spends his time: forty-three species of
parrots! Nipples for men!

Evil Genius: Oh Benson, dear Benson, you are so mercifully free of the
ravages of intelligence

- Time Bandits (July 1983)

Between those not entirely incompatible views of the full potential of the
web are

"All the dreams you've ever had - and not just the good ones.."

len

From: Gerald Bauer [mailto:gerald.bauer@mac.com]

    Also allow me to highlight that pretty much all Web 2.0 innovations
side step the W3C bureaucracy and its self-styled visionaries and
leaders e.g.

   o XmlHttpRequest -  A innovation introduced by - suprise, suprise -
Microsoft
   o Web Widgets      -  A innovation introduced by Apple
   o User JavaScripts  - A innovation introduced by Firefox Hackers
   o Web Graphics Using Canvas Tag and JavaScript - A innovation
introduced by Apple
   o JSAN (Java Script Archive Network)  - A innovation introduced by
Perl Hackers
   o and so on and so forth