   RE: [xml-dev] extending enumerated lists with xsd:union

Hi Stephen,

I can see that it is tempting to use substitution groups (or some other
schema extension mechanism) for versioning, but I have found that it just
adds too much complexity.

At a former client of mine (GS1 formerly known as EAN/UCC) we debated about
this too (both in the context of versioning and extending code lists for
different contexts).  We finally ended up putting every code list in a
separate schema document (just like UBL does) and creating an entirely new
type definition (with the same name) for each version of a code list. If you
wanted to change to a different version of a code list you would just swap
out the schema document.  Minor versions are backward compatible (also like
UBL, I think) but that is just enforced by the designers, not any particular
schema feature.

As far as extensibilty, one approach I have seen at another client is to
make the base type a union of some specific values and xs:token, then
restrict that:

Base Type:
<xs:simpleType name="TransactType">
 <xs:union memberTypes="xs:token">
  <xs:simpleType>
   <xs:restriction base="xs:token">
    <xs:enumeration value="A"/>
    <xs:enumeration value="B"/>
   </xs:restriction>
  </xs:simpleType>
 </xs:union>
</xs:simpleType>

<xs:simpleType name="MyTransactType">
 <xs:restriction base="TransactType">
  <xs:enumeration value="A"/>
  <xs:enumeration value="B"/>
  <xs:enumeration value="C"/>
 </xs:restriction>
</xs:simpleType>

Of course, you have very little control, and the values in the base type are
suggestions more than anything.

Hope that helps,
Priscilla

Priscilla Walmsley                 http://www.datypic.com
Author, Definitive XML Schema     (Prentice Hall PTR)
        Definitive XQuery (coming in 2006)