   Re: [xml-dev] Which license to choose

  • To: XML Developers List <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Which license to choose
  • From: Arjan Huijzer <huijzer@gmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 15:18:00 +0200

Thanks for all comments. Someone pointed out to me that it was also an option to put the sample documents in the public domain (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/publicdomain/),  which is probably the road I will travel.

Thanks again!

Arjan

On 8/10/05, Henri Sivonen <hsivonen@iki.fi> wrote:
On Aug 10, 2005, at 22:26, Razvan MIHAIU wrote:

>   How about the GNU Free Documentation Licence ?

The GFDL is designed for book-length works that may contain opinions.
The license is inappropriate and an overkill for sample files.

>> I have a question and I hope someone on this list can help me. If
>> this is the wrong list to ask the question, please let me know.

This does seem mostly off-topic except that XML samples may be
interesting from the licensing point of view if they are used like
utilities and not like literary works but still are not programs.

>>  Currently I am creating XML sample files that I can use when I build
>> and test XML appilcations or when I just want to play with some new
>> technology such as XQuery. I have just created a sourceforge project
>> where I can put my files so other people can use them if they want. I
>> googled and found some licenses such as the OPL (Open Content
>> License) and the Creative Commons licenses.

Note that the CC licenses and the GFDL (and, IIRC, the Open Content
License) are considered non-free in the Debian sense.

>>  Has anyone experience with licenses that will grant others the right
>> to use the sample files? As far as I'm concerned I do not wish to put
>> any restrictions on the use of the sample files.

Short of trying to waive copyright altogether (may not be simple in all
jurisdictions), the "MIT"/"expat" license is about as non-restrictive
as you can get.

IANAL.

--
Henri Sivonen