   Re: [xml-dev] Talking of HTML.... Anyone like lock-in?

>> That reduces the shock value, but it's still pretty silly. Why don't
>> they just allow attributes from any foreign namespace on every element
>> like schema languages do and let processors ignore the attributes they
>> don't recognize?

Why stop with attributes? It's long been the case that web browsers
simply ignore tags they don't recognize in any namespace at all.
Unexpected tags aren't as common as they used to be, but it was critical
for experimentation and development in the early days of the Web. I
still use this technique on my pages which are well-formed but not valid.

(For what it's worth, I did experiment with making my custom marked up
pages valid using namespaces and XHTML modularization. However the DTD
hacks required ended up causing far more problems than just adding a few
undeclared elements in the XHTML namespace that browsers blissfully
ignored.)