   RE: [xml-dev] Is Web 2.0 the new XML?

From: 'Alan Gutierrez' [mailto:alan-xml-dev@engrm.com]

> Didier replies:

>> Another good point; Yes indeed human are adaptive animals and they
>> found the trick to be ranked well in Google. Anything based on
>> social interaction is subject to social manipulations. The more we
>> see social networks embedded into the web the more we will see
>> people organizing themselves to manipulate it.

>    At some point the blogosphere is going to find that it's spends
>    so much time working on Google rankings, it's going to start to
>    take control of the construction of relationships for itself.

Which is what Didier is saying.  It will n-furcate along the same
lines as it is now, with self-reinforcing linking based on content
affinities that are also political affinities in some cases, and
in fewer cases, serious research.   In effect, it simply turns into
an automated fast form of magazines but with a lot more filching.
People hawking causes leave their comments turned on.  Those
wishing to speak uninterrupted or unthreatened turn them off
and rely on back channels such as email.

>The recognition of the "A-List" preceeds the creation of a market.

And just as markets have leaders, disruptors emerge to threaten
the A-list.  "Burn down the mission, if you want to stay alive..."

>    There are going to be new protocols for the construction of
>    edges in the network, that are richer than tags and URIs, and
>    the meaning of the edges will not be entrusted to a ranking
>    algorithm.

That's the music market.  You may not like what emerges here, but selah.

>    Rather, it will be negotiated by the nodes, the individuals, who
>    will agree on a meaning of the link.

If it is important enough, it will be packaged, marketed and gamed.

>    I'd like to enhance exsiting blogging software so it can act as
>    a node in a graph data structure, that can be accessed
>    programatically, and see what new applications can be created.

That's what it is now.  What programs are you going to add?

len