   Re: [xml-dev] Is Web 2.0 the new XML?

* Bullard, Claude L (Len) <len.bullard@intergraph.com> [2005-08-12 09:16]:

> From: 'Alan Gutierrez' [mailto:alan-xml-dev@engrm.com]
>
> > Didier replies:
>
> >> Another good point; Yes indeed human are adaptive animals and they
> >> found the trick to be ranked well in Google. Anything based on
> >> social interaction is subject to social manipulations. The more we
> >> see social networks embedded into the web the more we will see
> >> people organizing themselves to manipulate it.

> >    At some point the blogosphere is going to find that it's spends
> >    so much time working on Google rankings, it's going to start to
> >    take control of the construction of relationships for itself.

> Which is what Didier is saying.  It will n-furcate along the same
> lines as it is now, with self-reinforcing linking based on content
> affinities that are also political affinities in some cases, and
> in fewer cases, serious research.   In effect, it simply turns into
> an automated fast form of magazines but with a lot more filching.
> People hawking causes leave their comments turned on.  Those
> wishing to speak uninterrupted or unthreatened turn them off
> and rely on back channels such as email.

    There's a problem with trolls that will turn comments off on
    most high-traffic blogs, especially political blogs. Culling
    comments can take up a lot of time for bloggers.

    I've always felt that conversations ought to take place between
    blogs, if there were applications that could piece the
    conversations together.

    A blog conversation protocol, then, in answer to your question
    at the end of the post.

> >The recognition of the "A-List" preceeds the creation of a market.

> And just as markets have leaders, disruptors emerge to threaten
> the A-list.  "Burn down the mission, if you want to stay alive..."

    Sure. The A-list will be relevant always. You can't have a
    society without celebrity, and vice versa.

    Most of what exists today addresses the needs of the A-List,
    however. Blogging software itself makes sense for someone who is
    trafficked, but doesn't make as much sense for a programmer like
    myself, who blogs only when time permits.

    A personal CMS, makes more sense. With feeds, of course, but
    also with versioning, for the essayists among us.

> >    There are going to be new protocols for the construction of
> >    edges in the network, that are richer than tags and URIs, and
> >    the meaning of the edges will not be entrusted to a ranking
> >    algorithm.

> That's the music market.  You may not like what emerges here, but selah.

    Lost me.

> >    Rather, it will be negotiated by the nodes, the individuals, who
> >    will agree on a meaning of the link.

> If it is important enough, it will be packaged, marketed and gamed.

    Yes, yes, yes. It's all good.

> >    I'd like to enhance exsiting blogging software so it can act as
> >    a node in a graph data structure, that can be accessed
> >    programatically, and see what new applications can be created.
>
> That's what it is now.  What programs are you going to add?

    I'd add an XML/REST interface to blogs for searching that blog.

    I'd also add a XML/REST vote interface, that would allow anyone
    to rank an article on that blog.

    I'd let to go wild, address the problem of gaming later, (or
    maybe after I get some sleep).

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com
    - http://engrm.com/blogometer/index.html