   RE: [xml-dev] Is Web 2.0 the new XML?

I don't disagree in substance, Sterling although
bottom-up systems also have flaws and are as
easily gamed because they depend on the diligence
of the individual to remain informed, question
sources, and maintain a healthy skepticism.

As to the topic of ID, I blogged my direct response.
OTW, my intuition is the reason for the ID meme
coverage in the current news is that it hijacks
the news cycle away from the Karl Rove scandal.
These are the politics of distraction.

I think Web 2.0 meme (The Web As Application Platform
Over Document Repository) is a bit of a crock, not that
it can't be done, but that it already has been, and was
being done before the Web Was or TimBL put pen to the idea.
So it's a marketing meme.  There is nothing there that
should excite a developer.  It's a distraction; nothing more.

However, the Web As Application Platform does have nasty
issues, particularly the mashup variety.  Culpability
is a big one.  I expect to see some tough work ahead for
the legalBeaglesCumSales types who realize the power of
guaranteeing quality of service in a world of One-Click-Services.

If I had to start a career as a young one, I think
international computer law would be an interesting and
lucrative one if one wants to eventually sit
on a bench of vast power and prestige.

len

From: sterling [mailto:sstouden@thelinks.com]