   Re: [xml-dev] Avoding a repeat of W3C XSD - was Re: [xml-dev] Is Web 2.0

On 8/19/05, Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> wrote:
> The real resistance comes from developers who want
> schemas/namespaces/object models/etc. but don't want the particular
> forms the W3C is proposing

OK, good point.  Namespaces in particular are something that everybody
(supposedly) needs, not just some identifiable community.  It's hard
to opt out of a namespace Recommendation you don't like, and I agree
that in retrospect  W3C should have noted all the yelling and
screaming and at least slowed down.

>  The
> real objections to SOAP and its spawn came from people who were
> developing we applications but in concert with HTTP and XML instead of
> in opposition to it.

Not really wanting to get back into that permathread, but people who
don't like SOAP-RPC, WSDL, etc. can quite successfully ignore it.  And
the people who find WS-* useful  happily ignore the RESTifarians.  W3C
quite reasonably doesn't try to settle the grand theoretical
arguments, despite Mark Baker's best efforts :-) I do think W3C slowed
down for a year or so to listen before deciding not to try to drain
that swamp, whereas they did not slow down to assess the screaming
about namespaces and XSD IIRC.  Granted that was before the TAG and
the CR phase of the process ... perhaps they would today.