   Re: [xml-dev] Can we treat XML elements and attributes as sets

  • To: Richard Tobin <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Can we treat XML elements and attributes as sets
  • From: Mukul Gandhi <mukul_gandhi@yahoo.com>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 20:58:18 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Richard,
  Thanks for the explanation. Now I have an unrelated
question. I have read in some XML vocabularies(like
XSLT for example), that information is treated as
sets. But these sets(as referred in XML) are ordered.
But in mathematics I believe, sets are defined as
unordered collection of items.

My question is, I believe, set terminology in XML is
borrowed from mathematics(and, is it true?), then why
the difference of ordered and unordered is kept?
Could'nt we had a different terminology? This I
believe all confuses mathematicians :)

Regards,
Mukul