   Re: [xml-dev] indexing and querying XML (not XQuery)

* Bullard, Claude L (Len) <len.bullard@intergraph.com> [2005-08-23 10:17]:

> Index what?  Ideas, ideas emerging from conversations, the
> conversations?  So far, what you are describing seems to be
> Google.  Can you out Google Google?

> A semantic aggregator is a topical query engine that automatically
> synthesizes topics and arranges them by a set of meta topics
> sometimes known as 'annotations':  opposes, in contrast to,
> supports, etc.  The topics are links and the annotations are
> links, usually out-of-line. This is an old idea from the pre-web
> days sometimes found in the context of researchers capturing
> corporate expertise.  In it's older but less robust form, it is an
> inverted index as found at the back of any decent text (which is
> why this field was called bibliographic linking). Instead of
> returning links, it returns a fully-formatted report.

    Nice definition. Thank you.

> So with that bit of insight from the WayBack Machine, Sherman,
> here is a thought experiment:

> XML-Dev is regularly harvested for ideas, some attributed, some
> not, by readers, some lurkers, some contributors.   These ideas
> might get implemented or not, might get rephrased or reformulated
> to mimic invention, or not.  How would you index them to:

> o  Prove a source is THE source.
> o  Diagram the emergence of an idea
> o  Create permathread links for any idea that recurs
> o  Automatically derive proofs for propositions expressed
> o  Provide QOS metrics in the face of determined gamers

    That's an interesting project. Not the one I had in mind.
    Attribution is important, however.

> Use REST if you like, SOA if you like, remember I don't care about
> the religious technical convictions, just the results.  Think of
> it as the autoDrill (a typical Google search is an exercise in
> drilling not for a reference, but for an insight).

> Remember we don't all speak English if you want to expand to blogs
> from XML-Dev.  XML-Dev is the easy test.  Blogs are much harder.

    Blogs and XML-Dev are different. XML-Dev is threaded
    discussions. In blogs, discussion is tracked through links.

    I'm sure that blogs would be an easier task.

    Blogging software is extensible. It's possible to entice
    bloggers to host a component of the search algorithm.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com
    - http://engrm.com/blogometer/index.html