   RE: [xml-dev] indexing and querying XML (not XQuery)

So your index is as good as the markup?  Fine.
That's what markup was created to provide (the
extensibility AS meaning theory).  The human
does the intelligent analysis when they tag
and the engine dutifully records that.  That
is just another indexer, not a semantic
aggregator.  Tagging makes searching easier
by leveraging the author's intelligence.

What about content in non-tagged sources
(say XML-Dev) and gamed content?

How about correlation of hidden couplers?

Show me an engine that can intelligently index
because it can drill for insights and provide
those to the user.  In other words, a deep
analysis system can find the root causes for
failures rather than superficial causes as might
be tagged incorrectly something humans do
consistently well:  promote superstition to
knowledge.

HTML scales because it is somewhat 'opinion free'.
Although layout is a form of opinionated expression,
it can be ignored.

len

From: Robert Koberg [mailto:rob@koberg.com]

Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> Index what?  Ideas, ideas emerging from conversations, the conversations?
> So far, what you are describing seems to be Google.  Can you out Google
> Google?

It is not like google. Google indexes HTML and it gives better rankings
to well marked up (according to google) HTML (which is why small
companies like us can get page rankings as high or higher than much
larger companies).

With an XML indexer, you can index glossentries, faqs, quizes, whatever
and keep them separate so if you want to run a query against just faqs,
you can.

You can do a search to get all external links (we distinguish between
external, internal and whatever other kind of links there might be) and
validate them.

You can also use the searches to do things you might do with XQuery
(again, I don't know XQuery...). For example, in our CMS we have the
concept of page regions. Content pieces are assigned to folder/page
regions. Say I want to find out where a content piece has been assigned.
I can run a query on all assignments to return references to the
pages/folders where it has been assigned. You can do searches for all
users in a particular group, all projects that a user has access to,
etc.. etc...

best,
-Rob