   RE: [xml-dev] Maturing Businesses and Web Standards

For this yes, Joe, but for other things, maybe not.
I agree with some of Jonathan Schwartz's and Tim Bray's points
about telling a customer what they can do with their own purchase.

http://tbray.org/ongoing/

DRM can become like those commercials where
the girl is staring into her closet and it acts
like an ATM.  "That ain't right."

Poisoning the customer for profit is
not good for future business.  If we lock
up all the rights for data, then like
prohibition, disrepectful data become
epidemic.  We can DRM a CD or an MP3
to death.  So what do we do about the
speaker wires?  It becomes more Draconian.

I know you are doing good work, Joe, and in
systems where data protection is critical,
this is necessary until carried to extremes.
Our history is rife with cover-ups and this
is hurting our democratic way of life.  We
have to ask ourselves who benefits.   I
think overzealous efforts to protect wealth
rots freedom.  Fear is good for basting a
turkey until it's ready to carve.

len

From: Chiusano Joseph [mailto:chiusano_joseph@bah.com]

The DRM will provide great advantage for all of this as well.

Joe (busy writing!)