   Re: [xml-dev] Python and JSON vs XML???

* Bob Foster <bob@objfac.com> [2005-08-25 12:44]:
> Pete Cordell wrote:
> > FWIW - I've also developed a text based data representation language,
> > including on the wire format and, more significantly from what I have
> > seen of other proposals, a message specification language.
> >
> > I lowered the priority on it because the force behind XML and XML Schema
> > seemed to huge too compete against (Betamax / VHS type arguments etc.)
> > Whether the observations made below represent a genuine move away from
> > XML, or represent a small pocket of newly discovered dissenters I don't
> > know. Personally,  in the data representation space I find that
> > commercially I'm interested in XML Schema being successful, but
> > aesthetically it would be nice for something like my proposal to be
> > successful.
> >
> > I targetted this at the IETF, but at the time they seemed to be going
> > the W3C schema route.  Maybe I should knock on their door again!

> Who _hasn't_ designed a text based data representation language? ;-}

    Guilty.

> It would be interesting to collect these designs and examine them for
> common characteristics. Some features of my last effort that I suspect
> would appear in a number of others:

> - No attributes and no "normalization".
> - No DTDs or entities.
> - Use of brackets { [ ] } etc. instead of end tags.
> - Sequences (a la XQuery) at the document level.
> - Parse much faster than XML (of course).

    I created a language that were children were denoted by
    indentation, so it was Pythonesque. This was supposed to make
    life easier on my wrists, and make most language look like
    Python.

    xsl:stylesheet -version 2.0
                   -xmlns:xsl "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";

        xsl:import -href foo.xslt

        xsl:template -match "/"

            xsl:if test "@foo = 'true'"
                xsl:message foo

            xsl:apply-templates -mode foo-mode

    No matching end tags. Children are simply indented.

    They *only* reason I'd want this would be because it's easier to
    type. It would be more difficult to parse, and even worse to
    serialize, I'm sure.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com
    - http://engrm.com/blogometer/index.html