   RE: [xml-dev] Python and JSON vs XML???

Actually, they are that high.  During the 'mad era', very
big contracts have been let that require the use of XML.
Take a look at EDXL, CAP, GML, SensorML and inquire if these
make sense given the speeds required and the video payloads.
XML doesn't make sense in some of this.  The trick is to
figure out where:  hint, the closer you get to real time,
the less sense markup makes.

Java doesn't rule.  In fact, in lots of these contracts,
it doesn't count.  Microsoft has to take the credit and
the blame for what is about to happen.  Speeding up XML
and compressing the payloads is a big deal.  Those who
don't think XML Binary is going to happen are putting
rocks in a river that will simply flow around them.

I have a sense when reading this thread that we are
talking about programmers and systems that are small,
one-off, don't have to scale, and aren't integrated.
When size really matters, the programmers accept the
trade-offs because if they don't, they look for new
jobs.

Are you a turtle?  You bet your sweet a** you are.

len

From: Uche Ogbuji [mailto:Uche.Ogbuji@fourthought.com]

On Thu, 2005-08-25 at 12:46 -0500, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:
> Nope.  The contracts have taken control away from
> the programmers.  Do As You Will Under The Law.
>
> Programmers aren't the top of the food chain
> anymore.  That's soooooo 90s.

If Java programmers ditch Ant for something less stultifying, no sane
manager in the world is going to tell them "NO!  You *must* use Ant
because it's XML based".  It doesn't matter where programmers are in the
food chain.  Stakes are not high enough for The Will Of The Law.