   Re: [xml-dev] [OT] Hurricane IT Help

* Betty Harvey <harvey@eccnet.com> [2005-09-01 23:27]:

> Alan:
>
> Anything I can do to help let me know.  I have family in Slidell and
> Picayune that "THANK GOD" will be in my home tomorrow! Phones and cell
> phones failed but text messages did work.  Homes and jobs lost but
> thankfully no loss of life - we are some of the fortunate ones!
>
> I have been reading http://www.nola.com/forums/sttamtownhall/index.ssf/
> for information.
>
> There isn't much that we can do for information for people left in the
> affected area.  They are cut off - no phones, no radio, no TV.  The one
> time I did get through to my brother-in-law and tried to tell him about
> the situation in New Orleans (he worked at Tulane University Hospital)
> he didn't believe me - thought I was exagerating.  I am really worried
> about his reaction when he gets to a hotel tonight and sees CNN news!

   If information is organized, it gets right back into the city:

   http://engrm.com/blogometer/2005/09/02/wiki-in-case-of-emergency.html

   Betty, XML-DEV. Organizing the data coursing through these old
   faishioned chat forums would do people a world of good.

   I need to get a message out today, and I would appreciate your
   help in defining a hyperbole free message that will get people to
   roll up their sleeves and do the drudge work. Key in data, format
   data, and scrape data.

   http://thinknola.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page#Mission_Statement

   Please, let's talk about this.

   Jeff Rafter is developing an XML feed from nola.com forums. We'll
   be able to use that to feed the survivor directory. Brilliant.

   Any other ideas?

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan@engrm.com
    - http://engrm.com/blogometer/index.html