   Re: [xml-dev] Talking of HTML.... Anyone like lock-in?

* Jirka Kosek wrote:
>Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
>
>>   Thanks for your comment.  We addressed it some time ago, but did not formally
>>   respond to your message.  Your suggestions have been incorporated into XHTML2.
>>   For more information, you can look at the issue database at
>>   http://hades.mn.aptest.com/xhtml2-issues
>
>"Welcome to the W3C HTML Working Group's XHTML 2 Issue Tracking System.
>Through this system you can search the existing issues and submit new
>issues. You can also submit issues by sending mail to
>xhtml2-issues@hades.mn.aptest.com."
>
>Does this text mean that comments sent to www-html-editor@w3.org (like
>http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html-editor/2005AprJun/0166.html)
>are not considered?

"I am far from truth saying that I still don't understand how this
Group works. I tried, I really tried. But I can't." -- Daniel Glazman
in <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-html/2005Jun/0020>.

I think the main confusion is that people assume the HTML Working
Group wastes their time with technical argument. After the Brain Slug
Planet F2F, this proved highly inefficient, instead they now operate
based on beliefs,

  "[T]he HTML Working Group (more specifically me) is too lazy to
  come up with a "usable" DTD for XHTML 2.0.  Well, I've said
  numerous times that it's impossible, but people don't believe me.
  So I have to do my best to implement DTD and prove that it's
  unusable. Oh well." -- Masayasu Ishikawa, W3C HTML Activity Lead

As you know, even the latest XHTML 2.0 draft requires conformance to
this still unwritten DTD.

Your concern has been addressed long ago by this belief:

  "[S]uch strict element-wise backwards compatibility is no longer
  necessary, since an XML-based browser, of which at the time of
  writing means more than 95% of browsers in use, can process new
  markup languages without having to be updated. Much of XHTML 2
  works already in existing browsers" -- XHTML 2.0 Working Draft.

Indeed, without active participation from browser vendors, editing
software vendors, quality assurance software providers, search service
providers, experts on metadata, styling, internationalization, style
sheets, scripting, accessibility, multimedia and interaction formats,
compound document formats, without well-documented use cases, require-
ments, success criteria, without any interest in following the W3C
Process, and without a community that could still be bothered to talk
to them, belief is indeed the only thing that could help XHTML 2.0.

It does not matter either, XHTML 2.0 will long be obsolete before
you could use it exclusively on a mainstream web site.