len

From: Ken North [mailto:kennorth@sbcglobal.net]

Len Bullard wrote:
>> ... as an engineer, I recommend bulldozing New Orleans and rebuilding in
Arizona.

Your remark may be tongue-in-cheek, but it hasn't been in other online
discussions. People have asked why we plan to rebuild in locations that are
at
risk because of proximity to the sea. The answer is because they are by the
sea.

We can't replace major seaports with airports, even if we convert half of
Arizona to runways and the other half to air freight terminals.

New Orleans and the nearby ports struck by Katrina handle 8-9,000 foreign
vessels per year, about 500,000,000 tons of cargo.

A very large crude carrier has a cargo capacity of 300,000 tons. The C-17
aircraft has a cargo capacity of 85.45 tons. It would take 5.88 million C-17
flights to move that amount of cargo.

>>  as an engineer ... as a musician

Wearing either hat, you'll find there are good reasons to rebuild. We're
going
to be dependent on shipping for generations.